Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Pages

7.08.2011

[on the other side for a change]

The most time I spend being a photographer is looking at the work of other photographers.  For hours.  Sometimes drooling.  Wedding and portrait photography has certainly come a long way since even 11 years ago, when my husband and I went on our own search for a wedding photographer.  Back then we wanted "photojournalistic" and at that time, it almost meant simply, "snapshots".  We looked at two photographers- the first was an absolute no, and the second was thankfully a resounding "yes!"  (if you are wondering, we had Mark Dellas do our wedding, and he was fantastic!)  In any case, there are a lot of super talented photographers out there now, and it is really inspiring to me to see such a personal connection that these photographers can have with their subjects, rather than just taking pictures of them (in fact, that is probably my favorite part of photographing people-it's what keeps me in this side gig of mine.)  

For a couple of years now, I have been particularly inspired by Rich and Alyssa of Nickel City Studios, who just happen to live in our same neighborhood.  And I have to say, if I were to do the whole wedding thing over again, I would probably scrap the expensive dress and flowers and save up to hire them.  Luckily, I don't have to get married all over again, and I have an amazing husband who totally surprised me with a family portrait session with Rich and Alyssa, which we cashed in a few weekends ago.   Normally, I abhor being in front of the camera, but this was one of the most fun evenings I had in awhile...I am sort of addicted to having my family photographed now.  It is amazing to see yourselves through some one else's eyes.  I can't stop looking at them (thank you so much!)  Check out their blog post here of our pics!


Blog Widget by LinkWithin

No comments: